Did you know?
If your marital status changes, it’s important to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know as soon as possible.
- Change your marital status – You can change your marital status online by using the Change my marital status service through My Account, or by calling 1-800-387-1193, or send us a completed Form RC65, Marital Status Change.
- Change of name – If you changed your name, let us know as soon as possible. Call us at 1-800-959-8281 so we can update our records. We do not accept changes of name by email or over the Internet.
- Spouse or common-law partner amount – Did you make the majority of the household income this year? If at any time in the year you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income was less than $11,038, you can claim this amount! If you also claimed the family caregiver amount, your spouse or common-law partner’s net income must be less than $13,078 to be eligible.
- Contributing to your spouse’s or common-law partner’s RRSP – Contributions you make to a spousal or common-law partner RRSP reduce your RRSP deduction limit. Find out how much you can contribute and deduct!
- Authorize a representative – Is your spouse or common-law partner a tax whiz? You can authorize your spouse or common-law partner online, using My Account, as your representative for income tax matters.
- Change your marital status – If your marital status changes during the year and you are entitled to any Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) payments, GST/HST credit, or working income tax benefit (WITB) advance payments, you must let us know by the end of the month after the month of your divorce. In the case of separation, do not tell us until you have been separated for more than 90 consecutive days. You can change your marital status online using My Account, by sending us a completed Form RC65, Marital Status Change, or by calling 1-800-387-1193.
- Are you making or receiving support payments? For information about the tax implications, go to Support Payments.
CRA online services make filing easier and let you get your refund faster
The CRA’s online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund, and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money in your pocket faster. For more information, go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready.
Article source: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm/txtps/2014/tfsk01-eng.html?rss